Filing An Insurance Claim

« Back to Home

3 Expenses You May Be Surprised To Learn Homeowner's Insurance Often Covers

Posted on

Most homeowners expect their homeowner's insurance to cover weather or fire damage to their homes. However, not all of the coverage that your homeowner's insurance provides will be quite so obvious. In fact, there are a few expenses that many people are surprised to learn are covered by most homeowner’s insurance policies. You can learn more about three of these expenses below. 

Expense #1: Replacing Spoiled Food

If you find yourself without power for an extended period of time, there is a good chance that the food inside your refrigerator and freezer will spoil. Replacing all of this food can become quite expensive. Thankfully, you may not have to cover this entire expense on your own. In most cases, homeowner’s insurance policies will provide a limited amount of coverage to help you replace spoiled food. While most insurance policies only provide this type of coverage in the event of a power outage, some policies will also provide a benefit if your food spoils as a result of an appliance failure. 

Expense #2: Replacing Items Stolen From Inside Your Vehicle

Chances are, you are well aware of the fact that your homeowner's insurance covers your personal belongings while they are inside your home. What you may not realize is that this coverage continues to protect your personal belongings even if you take them out of your home. Consequently, you can file a claim with your homeowner's insurance provider if any of these items are stolen from your vehicle. This coverage applies whether your vehicle is parked outside of your home at the time of the theft or if it is parked a hundred miles away from home. 

Expense #3: Temporary Lodging While Your Home Is Repaired

While most home repairs can be completed while you remain in the home, some repairs will require you to obtain temporary lodging until after the repairs have been completed. This is commonly the case when dealing with extensive water damage or when your plumbing system is temporarily out of order. If you are displaced from your home as a result of repairs, your homeowner's insurance may be able to help you to cover the cost of your temporary housing. In most cases, homeowner’s insurance policies will provide a per diem stipend for the amount of time that you are displaced from your home. This stipend can be used to cover lodging and/or dining expenses. If your actual expenses exceed what you receive from your stipend, you will be responsible for covering the additional costs.

To learn more, contact a homeowners insurance provider in your area.